Dental crowns are a popular and effective tooth restoration option for individuals with damaged, decayed, or missing teeth. If you are considering a dental crown Prahran, it’s essential to understand what it is, how it happens, and what to expect during the procedure. This blog will discuss all you need to know about dental crown Prahran.
What is a dental crown?
A dental crown is a custom-made cap placed over a damaged, decayed, or misshapen tooth to restore its shape, size, strength, and appearance. Dental crowns can be made from various matters and materials, including porcelain, ceramic, metal, or a combination of materials.
Types of dental crowns:
Several types are available, each with unique benefits and drawbacks. Here are a few of some of the most common types of dental crowns:
- Porcelain crowns are the very popular type of dental crown due to their natural appearance, durability, and functionality.
- Ceramic crowns: Ceramic crowns are similar to porcelain crowns but are made from a different ceramic material.
- Metal crowns: Metal crowns are highly durable and long-lasting but less aesthetically pleasing than porcelain or ceramic crowns.
- Composite resin crowns: Composite resin crowns are a more affordable and temporary option for dental restorations.
- Zirconia crowns: Zirconia crowns are a newer type of dental crown that is highly durable, natural-looking, and resistant to chipping and wear.
Procedure for getting a dental crown in Prahran: Getting a dental crown in Prahran typically involves two appointments with your dentist. Here’s what you can expect during each appointment:
- First appointment: During the first appointment, your dentist will look at your tooth and take X-rays to assess the extent of the damage. They will then prepare the damaged tooth by removing any decay or injury and reshaping it to accommodate the crown. They will also take impressions of your teeth, creating a custom-made crown that fits perfectly over the damaged tooth. In the meantime, you will wear a temporary crown to protect the tooth.
- Second appointment: At the second appointment, your dentist will remove the crown and place the permanent crown over the damaged tooth. They will ensure the crown fits properly and matches your surrounding teeth before cementing it.
Aftercare for dental crowns:
Once you have a dental crown in Prahran, it’s essential to ensure its longevity and effectiveness. Here are most tips for caring for your dental crown:
- Floss regularly: Brush and floss your teeth twice daily to keep your crown and surrounding teeth clean and healthy.
- Avoid hard and sticky foods: Avoid hard and sticky foods that can damage or dislodge your crown.
- Wear a mouthguard: If you practice sports or grind your teeth crown at night, wear a mouthguard to safeguard your crown and teeth.
- Visit your dentist regularly: Visit your dentist regularly for check-ups and cleanings to ensure that your crown functions correctly and to prevent further dental issues.
Dental crown Prahran is a popular and effective tooth restoration option to improve oral health and smile. Consider a dental crown a long-lasting and natural-looking solution if you have a damaged, decayed, or missing tooth. Consult your Prahran dentist to learn more about how dental crowns can benefit oral health and restore confidence.
For South Yarra click here.